Thursday, December 11, 2008

Reading Heroes Cover Art

Hey, it's some new art! But before we get to that, for those that have been asking via email, yes, I am having prints made of some of my illustration work. I'm in the process of having the samples printed for review, and once I go forward, I'll have all of the pertinent info right here, including pricing, and how to order. Look for that, plus images of the available prints, in an upcoming post (probably within the next week). In the meantime, I'd like to remind everyone, including those coming in late, that I still have plenty of comics art for sale, and now have a list available. You can email me for that list, and I'll be happy to send it along. Last, there are also still quite a number of t-shirts left, so if you need a holiday gift, it's your lucky day! T-shirts make awesome gifts! You can read all about this stuff, as well as the reason for the big sale (for those unaware), in my previous post, here.

OK, so I promised new art! I've been very fortunate in my career to be able to work on a variety of things, and many of those intersect strongly with my personal interests. As many of you know, I'm a comics guy, and have been lucky to work on comic books for most of the major publishers. I am a car buff, and am one of the artists on NASCAR Comics, as well as having been able to draw cars for various other clients. I also love drawing likenesses, and have had a number of clients hire me to do portrait work. A few of those things (although no cars this time!) came into play on my most recent project. I'm going to be working on a comic book for the University of South Carolina. Former Olympic and WNBA basketball player, Dawn Staley, is now the coach of the USC team, and like me, has an interest in getting kids to read. While Kids Love Comics is my venue, Ms Staley does it through her own Dawn Staley Foundation. The University has contracted my client, Starbridge Media Group, to create a comic book about Ms Staley's efforts to promote literacy, called "Reading Heroes." Here's the cover:



I was given the rough layout by my editor, John Gallagher (who also provided the drawings on the rough), and I did the finished pencils, inks and colors. John did the design work and lettering. This project is really cool, and I'm looking forward to working on the interior of the book soon. I'll be posting that artwork as well.

In the meantime, if you'd like to learn more about Dawn Staley or her Foundation, you can click here. I love the fact that I can work on stuff that helps promote reading, so this should be a great project!

Coming soon, I'll be posting some work from a few years ago that was inspired by The Incredibles! I seem to have a lot of Pixar connections lately!

Thanks for checking in, and I'll talk to you as again soon!

Best,
Rich

No comments: