Friday, May 29, 2009

The Right Formula (1) - Yes, More Cars

Hey, I'm back, and it hasn't even been a month! How about that? Seriously, I hate that it takes me so long between posts now. What's going on here at home is so exhausting that it takes me a while to be able to clear my head enough to post something coherent.

In any event, thank you all for the messages and the notes of support. As I said in a recent post, cancer sucks, but it's much easier knowing how many of you are out there thinking of us.

As my title states, I'm still working, albeit infrequently. A recent job called for me to draw cars, yet again. As it's something I love to do, it's always a fun time for me when I can. This particular job was pretty challenging though. The client is actually a colleague of mine who was working with a major Formula One sponsor on a comic book featuring the new F1 car design. This particular design is not something that is intuitive to draw. It's unlike any cars I've drawn before. The lines on the car are very curvy, almost abstract, and it took a while for me to be able to master the flow of the design. I see a few flaws in it myself, but my colleague and the client were happy. I wouldn't mind doing more of this type of work. Anyway, here are the images:


This image was used for the comic book cover.


This one was the double page spread.

I think I might post some of the rough versions of these at a later time to give some insight into my process.

I'll have to get to that later though. For now, I hope you all have a great weekend! I'll be back here soon.

Best,
Rich

4 comments:

Sam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam said...

Hey Rich, long time no see.
I hope all is going well with the new treatment for Traci since you last posted. I wish you both my best.

The inks look great. Any idea when the comic hits the shelves? I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it.

Take care,
Sam

*I erased the previous comment because I noticed some spelling errors and would hate to have them up there. Darn spell check and internet, haha.

Also, if you are by any chance attending this year's Wizard World comic con, I may see you there. I'll be sure to bring my portfolio this time.

Matt Wieringo said...

Wow, Rich. Those are great. Anybody who not only draws cars well but actually...gulp...enjoys it, deserves nothing but admiration.

Squeeze said...

Here here!
Sweet drawings Rich. Missed you at Heroes. Stupid Stupid Wizard - trying to have a Con the same weekend as Heroes. Heard that attendance at the Wizard con was terrible and that they are thinking of ending it.